Bet you didn't know that your Newt can do ethernet, did ya? Well, that's why I'm here to tell you everything you need to know about your Newton and its ethernet capabilities.
Need detailed instructions on getting your Newton setup for ethernet? Get 'em here!
Here are links to all the known Newton Ethernet drivers. If you find more, please let me know where to find them!
- What Newtons can use Ethernet cards, and what is required?
- A MessagePad 2000 or 2100, or an eMate 300 with a free PC Card (PCMCIA) slot and NIE 2.0 installed with
the "Newton Devices" and "NIE Ethernet" packages as well as the appropriate ethernet card driver.
- What Ethernet cards can be used with the Newton?
The following drivers were written by Hirochi
- I have this card, and I'm not sure if it works. How can I
- Click on the Front and Back links next to the card names above to see photos of the front and back of each
- I have a Farallon PN595a. Why doesn't the Farallon driver work
with this card?
- I have no idea. I have heard many videly varying reports on the
compatibility of this card. Some say it does work, others say it does not
work at all, still other have had them break. My own personal advice: if
you're not sure, don't do it.
- I have a Lucent WaveLAN / Apple AirPort / Other 802.11 compliant
card and I was wondering if...
- Yes! There is a driver now that should work for most Lucent WaveLAN
cards. Apple AirPort cards will never work, because they are not
pin-compatable with the Newton's card slots.
- I have a 3Com combo card / 10/100Mbps card / CardBus card / other
card that's not listed here and I want to know if it'll work with my
- NO. Sorry, but if it's not listed here, then it's not
Period. Please don't bug me about it.
- I've got this unsupported card. Can you write me a driver?
- I'm flattered, but I didn't write any of the drivers here - I just
collect 'em. There should be links on this page to the actual driver
authors... try contacting them.
- I've got a Mac and I'm trying to connect my Newton to NCU via
Ethertalk but my Newton can't find my computer!
- Go into the Prefs slip on your Newton, tap on AppleTalk, select
"Connect using Ethertalk" and then choose the correct card.
- Go into the Appletalk control panel on your Mac and select Ethertalk.
- In the NCU prefs, make sure that *only* Appletalk is selected, and not
the Modem or Printer ports
- I tried to download the XYZ driver and I think the file is
corrupted / the file won't install / a plague of locusts has infested the
- This happens from time to time. Make sure you hold down SHIFT and
click on the file links (Mac users - click and hold, then choose "Save
link As"). If you still have problems then e-mail me (see below) and I'll
e-mail you the package(s). (This problem should be fixed as on June 2000)
If you are using a Mac and still having problems with .pkg files,
get Steve Weyer's PackType
utility, and stop bugging me.
- Hey! You didn't answer my question! I need more info!
Thanks to the following people for contributing to this section: